Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL)

Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL) is cancer that develops in mature lymphocytes, which are part of the body’s immune system that helps the body fight infections. NHL can develop in various parts of the body, including the lymph nodes, spleen, bone marrow, thymus and digestive tract and spread to other parts of the body, including the liver or brain if not treated[1].

There are many different types of NHL. They can be classified in various ways in which one of the ways is to classify them by the type of cells affected – B cells or T cells. B-cell lymphoma is the most common form of NHL which account for approximately 90% of NHL, with the remaining 10% arise from T-cell origin. An accurate diagnosis of the types of lymphoma is very important as the types of lymphoma have very different disease courses and treatment choices[1-2].

Molecular testing is able to help the clinicians to distinguish between different subtypes of NHL. For example, detection of BRAFV600E mutations is helpful in the diagnosis of classical hairy cell leukemia while detection of MYD88 L265P mutations helps in diagnosis of marginal zone lymphoma[3-4]. Additionally, molecular testing to analyse T-cell or B-cell clonality is an important part of the evaluation of suspected NHL. B-cells or T-cells clonality analysis along with clinical, histological and immunohistochemical data can help the clinicians to distinguish between benign and malignant lymphoproliferation[5].

Oncode offers a range of PCR assays to detect mutations and cell clonality in NHL.
ONCODEduce BRAF V600E & MYD88 PCR Panel
ONCODEduce BRAF V600E & MYD88 PCR Panel are ARMS-PCR based qualitative assays with amplicon identification by fragment analysis, and a detection limit of ~5%.

Specimen Requirements:
Blood: 3ml in EDTA OR Marrow Aspirate: 1-2.5ml in EDTA
FFPE: One FFPE block & 1 H&E stained slide

Turn Around Time:
• 20 working days

Shipment Requirement:
• Keep specimen at room temperature. DO NOT expose to direct sunlight.
ONCODEduce Clonality B Cell PCR Panel
ONCODEduce Clonality B Cell PCR Panel is a PCR based assay followed by fragment analysis to identify the presence of a clonally rearranged B or T cell receptor gene, indicative of a neoplastic proliferation.

Specimen Requirements:
Blood: 3ml in EDTA OR Marrow Aspirate: 1-2.5ml in EDTA
FFPE: One FFPE block & 1 H&E stained slide

Turn Around Time:
• 20 working days

Shipment Requirement:
• Keep specimen at room temperature. DO NOT expose to direct sunlight.
ONCODEduce Clonality T Cell PCR Panel
ONCODEduce Clonality T Cell PCR Panel is a PCR based assay followed by fragment analysis to identify the presence of a clonally rearranged T cell receptor gene, indicative of a neoplastic proliferation.

Specimen Requirements:
Blood: 3ml in EDTA OR Marrow Aspirate: 1-2.5ml in EDTA
FFPE: One FFPE block & 1 H&E stained slide

Turn Around Time:
• 20 working days

Shipment Requirement:
• Keep specimen at room temperature. DO NOT expose to direct sunlight.
References:
1. Cancer Research UK (2017). Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. READ MORE
2. American Cancer Society (2017). About Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. READ MORE
3. Rudolf-Oliveira, R.C.M., Pirolli, M.M., de Souza, F.S., Michels, J., & Santos-Silva, M.C. (2015). Hairy Cell Leukemia Variant: The Importance of Differential Diagnosis. Revista Brasileira de Hematologia E Hemoterapia 37(2), 132–135.READ MORE
4. Taylor, J., Xiao, W., & Abdel-Wahab, O. (2017). Diagnosis and Classification of Hematologic Malignancies on the Basis of Genetics. Blood, blood-2017.
5. Hebeda, K. M., et al. (2009). PCR Clonality Detection in Hodgkin Lymphoma. Journal of Hematopathology 2(1), 34–41. READ MORE